The BJP’s iron collection programme for its Statue of Unity project has failed to meet deadline in the state’s 28 districts, owing mainly to “dereliction of party workers who were assigned the responsibility of collecting at least one kg of iron from each gram panchayat”.
The programme, launched by party’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi to build a 182-metre tall statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on an island along the Narmada river in Gujarat, began in UP on January 7 with February 10 being the deadline for six BJP regions comprising 68 districts and February 20 for two others regions comprising 22 districts.
Based on the figures so far, the iron was collected from only 268 villages of all 528 gram panchayats. No iron was collected from 172 villages in Jhansi and 235 villages in Rae Bareli.
Likewise, BJP workers also did not collect iron from 284 villages in Allahabad, followed by Jaunpur (264), Unnao (188), Lakhimpur Kheri (180), Pratapgarh (194), Bulandshahr (164), Sitapur (129), Moradabad (113), Rampur (80) and Meerut (59).
Meerut is BJP state president Laxmikant Bajpai’s home district. Among others, iron-collection drive was not carried out in 90 villages of Varanasi, senior party leader Murli Manohar Joshi’s constituency, and in 49 villages of Pilibhit – party national general secretary Varun Gandhi’s constituency. The party has also left out 80 villages in Etawah.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
State convener of iron collection coordination committee in UP, Om Prakash Singh said, “Iron was not collected because of laxity of workers.” He added that adequate efforts were not made to draw the support from people.
Singh, however, termed response from Farrukhabad, Kannuaj, Badaun, Faizabad, Mirzapur, Amethi, Sultanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Ghaziabad and Baghpat as satisfactory.
Citizen for Accountable Governance (CAG), a non-profit organisation, has been assigned the responsibility to deliver the collection kits (comprising the iron collected under the drive).
Singh said that Narendra Modi will flag off the vehicles loaded with these kits for Gujarat during his Lucknow rally on March 2.