Flanked by his family, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi filed his nomination papers from Amethi Lok Sabha constituency Saturday.
Before filing the papers, Rahul and sister Priyanka Vadra held a road show for 40 km. A huge crowd showered rose petals on the siblings as they waved from an open-top vehicle and shook hands with people.
Earlier, Rahul landed at Amhat airfield in Sultanpur with mother and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Priyanka, brother-in-law Robert Vadra and Priyanka’s daughter Miraya.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
For filing his nomination, Rahul chose his four proposers carefully, one each from Scheduled Caste, OBC, Minority, and upper caste. They included Congress MLA from Jagdishpur reserved constituency Radhey Shyam Kanaujiya, Congress leaders Raj Narayan Yadav, Mohd Naeem, and former city president Prem Narayan Tiwari.
Rahul is seeking a re-election for the third consecutive time from Amethi, which goes to polls on May 7. “I have family relations with the people of Amethi and I am sure of a good victory,” he said. He is up against BJP’s Smriti Irani and AAP’s Kumar Vishwas, both of whom are in the fray from Amethi for the first time.
“I have worked here for 10 years. There are three big things that have been done. About 10 lakh women have been empowered through self-help groups. We have started the process of setting up a food park, and we have connected Amethi with the national highways and railway line,” Rahul said.
After the road show, Priyanka held meetings with party workers from Amethi as well as Sultanpur at the Munshiganj guest house later in the day.
The Sultanpur meeting is significant given that the Gandhi family has been avoiding interference in the neighbouring constituency that was represented by Sanjay Sinh who was sent to the Rajya Sabha recently. Besides, Rahul’s cousin Varun Gandhi is BJP candidate from Sultanpur this time.
Sources inform that Sanjay Sinh and his wife Amita, who is the Congress candidate from Sultanpur, were also present in the meeting, seen as an attempt by Rahul and Priyanka to mobilise workers in favour of Amita.
Rahul clarifies attack on Modi
Lucknow: A day after attacking Narendra Modi for not revealing his marital status earlier, Rahul Gandhi Saturday said it was not a personal attack and he was merely stating facts. “I just stated that on his affidavit previously, he did not mention something,” Rahul said. ENS