A day after it was routed in three states and Delhi,a desperate Congress is focus on how to retain its existing parliamentary seats in UP.
UP shares its border with Delhi,Rajasthan,Madhya Pradesh as well as Chhattisgarh whose results were announced on Sunday.
On Monday,AICC general secretary and UP in-charge Madhusudan Mistry began assessment of each Lok Sabha seats where the party has sitting MPs.
Mistry is learnt to have held introspection meetings separately with four of them in Delhi Monday,beginning with Lakhimpur Kheri MP Zafar Ali Naqvi. Later in the day,he held similar introspection meetings with Mahrajganj MP Harsh Vardhan,Moradabad MP Azaharuddin and Bahraich MP Kamal Kishore.
Sources in the party said he urged each of the four MPs to develop better co-ordination with the cadre . Speaking to The Indian Express,Mistry said he would complete the assessment of existing LS seats with the party in UP in the coming week but refuted that the assembly election results in the four neighbouring states has affected the partys prospects in UP in the Lok Sabha elections.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
We have started separate assessment of sitting Lok Sabha seats in UP today,but one must remember that assembly elections and Lok Sabha elections are completely different and have no reflection on each other. Take the example of Gujarat,where party might not have done well during the assembly elections,gave a good performance during the Lok Sabha elections, said Mistry who is from Gujarat.
Mistry was also the chairman of candidate selection committee of Madhya Pradesh,where the party could bag only 58 out of 230 seats,party leaders in UP are raising doubts over his style of functioning.
Mistry clarified: Selection of candidates is just one component of election. Election Campaign,solidarity with the leadership,everything has to click.
Indicating that the selection process was done in consultation with senior leaders of the state,Mistry said: ,The selection committee sat with almost every senior leader in the state and the final selection took place with the consent of all. Besides,one has to depend on the opinion of PCC chief,CLP leader as well as senior leaders like Digvijaya Singh and Kamal Nath and then take decision on that basis.
Mistry also indicated that each candidate was backed by a different leader.
However,he maintained that the assembly election results will not have a bearing on the Lok Sabha elections. There is still a long time to go and we are confident we shall be able to make everything click then, he said.
Meanwhile,partys UP president Nirmal Khatri,too,said the party would first focus on its existing sitting seats.
We have realised that we brought various development schemes in both Delhi and Rajasthan but failed to communicate it to the masses properly. Thus,during our preparation for the Lok sabha election,our another focus would be on spreading maximum awareness about the UPA governments welfare schemes said Khatri.