An elderly Dalit farmer was murdered on Sunday morning by three persons at Chinhat area of Lucknow. Following the incident, family members of the deceased and villagers blocked Lucknow-Faizabad Road.
Ramlal Rawat (65), a resident of Shahpur village, left his home early for his fields. His wife Rammo alleged that four brothers — Ranjit Yadav, Vijay Yadav, Raju Yadav, Sanjay Yadav — and Vijay’s son Ajay killed her husband. She added that they chased her husband with a sharp-edge farming tool and later killed him.
Gomti Nagar Circle Officer (CO) Satya Sen Yadav said: “Rawat’s family was involved in a dispute over a land, which according to accused Yadav brothers was bought by their father but registered in Rawat’s name. The reason could be that as the land belonged to a Dalit, it could not be bought by a non-Dalit.”
- Two tales of two very different murder trials, a Dalit and a Maratha
- Arrest in KJ Singh murder case: Kin of accused in dark, say he would call home and claim he was in Canada
- Along railway tracks, mystery death of mother and a child
- Shalimar Bagh murder: Day later, man admits he gunned down wife
- Mayawati suspends 2 Dalits for ‘anti-party activities’, leader claims BSP chief demanded Rs 20 lakh
- Lucknow: Father, brother held for murder of 17-year-old who had ‘affair’ with Dalit youth
“Rawat recently sold the land to someone else, leading to fresh tensions. He was found dead with injuries on his neck,” the CO added.
Following the murder, Rawat’s family and villagers blocked Faizabad Road, demanding action against the accused. They also protested against the police officers who reportedly declined to take them along for the post-mortem examination. “The family members were pacified and the road was later opened to traffic. No accused persons have been arrested,” said the CO.