A couple was electrocuted after coming in touch with a broken electricity wire in their field in Jam village of Ballia district on Thursday morning.
The residents blocked the Ballia-Lucknow Road for more than a couple of hours following the incident.
An FIR has been registered in this connection at Rasara police station.
The power department has handed over two cheques of Rs 1 lakh each to the next of the kin of the victims. They have also been assured of compensation through the Kisan Bima Yojana.
According to the police, the incident occurred around 9.30 am when Chanda Devi (50), a resident of Jam village, had gone to her field to pluck vegetables.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“As she was going about her work, she came in touch with a live broken wire of 440 volts that was hanging loose. When her husband, Radhey Shyam Verma (55), saw her, he rushed to rescue her. But he too was seriously injured under the impact of the strong current. The couple was declared brought dead at the local hospital,” said Circle Officer (Rasara), Ajay Kumar Singh, adding that the couple used to cultivate vegetables and sell it in market.
“Officials from the power and other departments rushed to the site. They have assured rectification of the power line, besides extending monetary support to the victims’ family,” said Singh.
Inspector (Rasara) Sandeep Kumar Singh said an FIR under Section 304-A (causing death due to negligence) of the Indian Penal Code has been registered against the power department by Vijay Verma, the victims’ son.
No official has been named in the FIR.