In yet another run-in with Congress workers in Amethi, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidate Kumar Vishwas and his supporters were attacked in Jagdhishpur block under Kamrauli police station area Friday evening by a group of about 25 people allegedly led by a local Congress worker.
While Kumar was allegedly hit on his shoulder by a stick, two of Kumar’s supporters sustained injuries. AAP workers said party leaders Manish Sisodia and Sanjay Singh have left for Amethi.
While Amethi SP Heera Lal claimed that the AAP workers have yet to give a complaint, the party workers were gathered at the local police station till tonight. The assailants are yet to be identified.
“Around 7:10 pm, we had gathered at Sindurwa village in Jagdishpur. As soon as I and Kumar got on the makeshift dais to make a speech, Congress workers reached there and started chanting ‘Rahul Gandhi zindabad. We told our workers not to attack anyone,” said Rauf Saifi, Kumar’s close aide.
“But when we instructed our workers to take their pictures and record videos, Congress workers attacked us with sticks, bricks and sharp weapons. They encircled our workers and also misbehaved with two of our women workers,” Rauf alleged.
While Kumar was mildly hit on shoulder with a stick, two workers, Avinash and Shashank Mauyrya sustained minor injuries. “I was hit on my face with a brick and with a metal rod on my back,” Maurya alleged, adding that mobiles were also snatched.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Kumar’s campaign vehicle was also allegedly damaged.
“We surrounded Kumar to protect him,” Rauf said, adding they escaped to Kamrauli police station.
“The village is dominated by minorities and they are unhappy with certian comments made by Kumar in the past,” SP Heera Lal said, adding that “after reaching Kamrauli police station, AAP workers went back to the site of attack, where they wanted to click more pictures with the damaged vehicle. We sent a Sub-Divisional Magistrate and a Circle Officer to bring them back,” Lal said, adding “an attack did take place but no one was seriously injured”.
While AAP workers claimed that police was not filing an FIR, Lal said they have yet to give a complaint.
When asked if the attackers were Congress workers, Congress Amethi district president Yogendra claimed all of Amethi’s residents are loyal to Gandhi family and hence are Congress workers.
The attack also saw a string of online activity by AAP workers, with Kumar himself updating with a string of tweets accompanied with pictures. “Sinsurva (JagdishPur) me Cong ke gundon ka hamla.
Mera prachar vahan tod diya hai. Bahut buri tarah mara hai sathiyon ko,” Kumar Tweeted while in another he uploaded a picture of one “Ishraaq” wielding a stick and flanked by supporters, whom Kumar referred as Congress goons.
A grainy 18-second video of the clash was also uploaded on YouTube.