In yet another run-in with Congress workers in Amethi, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidate Kumar Vishwas and his supporters were attacked in Jagdhishpur block under Kamrauli police station area Friday evening by a group of about 25 people allegedly led by a local Congress worker.
While Kumar was allegedly hit on his shoulder by a stick, two of Kumar’s supporters sustained injuries. AAP workers said party leaders Manish Sisodia and Sanjay Singh have left for Amethi.
While Amethi SP Heera Lal claimed that the AAP workers have yet to give a complaint, the party workers were gathered at the local police station till tonight. The assailants are yet to be identified.
“Around 7:10 pm, we had gathered at Sindurwa village in Jagdishpur. As soon as I and Kumar got on the makeshift dais to make a speech, Congress workers reached there and started chanting ‘Rahul Gandhi zindabad. We told our workers not to attack anyone,” said Rauf Saifi, Kumar’s close aide.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“But when we instructed our workers to take their pictures and record videos, Congress workers attacked us with sticks, bricks and sharp weapons. They encircled our workers and also misbehaved with two of our women workers,” Rauf alleged.
While Kumar was mildly hit on shoulder with a stick, two workers, Avinash and Shashank Mauyrya sustained minor injuries. “I was hit on my face with a brick and with a metal rod on my back,” Maurya alleged, adding that mobiles were also snatched.
Kumar’s campaign vehicle was also allegedly damaged.
“We surrounded Kumar to protect him,” Rauf said, adding they escaped to Kamrauli police station.
“The village is dominated by minorities and they are unhappy with certian comments made by Kumar in the past,” SP Heera Lal said, adding that “after reaching Kamrauli police station, AAP workers went back to the site of attack, where they wanted to click more pictures with the damaged vehicle. We sent a Sub-Divisional Magistrate and a Circle Officer to bring them back,” Lal said, adding “an attack did take place but no one was seriously injured”.
While AAP workers claimed that police was not filing an FIR, Lal said they have yet to give a complaint.
When asked if the attackers were Congress workers, Congress Amethi district president Yogendra claimed all of Amethi’s residents are loyal to Gandhi family and hence are Congress workers.
The attack also saw a string of online activity by AAP workers, with Kumar himself updating with a string of tweets accompanied with pictures. “Sinsurva (JagdishPur) me Cong ke gundon ka hamla.
Mera prachar vahan tod diya hai. Bahut buri tarah mara hai sathiyon ko,” Kumar Tweeted while in another he uploaded a picture of one “Ishraaq” wielding a stick and flanked by supporters, whom Kumar referred as Congress goons.
A grainy 18-second video of the clash was also uploaded on YouTube.