Congress workers led by senior leaders on Thursday held a statewide protest against the central government’s proposed Land Acquisition Bill and the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh. Both rail and road traffic were disrupted for several hours as protestors blocked highways and stopped trains across the state.
Five trains, including the Varuna Express, Sealdah Express and Howrah-Amritsar Express, were stopped by Congress workers at different places in Lucknow, led by state party chief Nirmal Khatri.
In Varanasi, Congress workers led by AICC secretary Zubair Khan, MLA Ajai Rai and former MP Rajesh Mishra stopped the Doon Express, Singrauli-Varanasi Express and Hawarah-Amritsar Express. These leaders also courted arrest.
- WhatsApp, Twitter: How Congress got numbers for midnight march
- YSR Congress workers stage rail roko demanding special status for Andhra Pradesh
- Dalits Protest Against SC/ST Law ‘dilution’: Fire and fury on the streets of Gujarat
- Teachers protest in Ludhiana, block NH-1
- Suspension of Congress MLAs: Protesters block roads in Amreli, 40 detained
- Gujarat: Thousands of Congress workers detained over attempt to block rail, road traffic
Another AICC Secretary Prakash Joshi, led party workers stopped the Bareilly Express as well as the Moradabad-Guwahati Express and blocked the highway in Moradabad.
In Raebareli, Congress workers led by MLC Dinesh Pratap Singh, stopped the Punjab Mail for several hours and later blocked the highway as well, while raising slogans against the Narendra Modi-led government and the Akhilesh Yadav government.
Speaking to The Indian Express, Nirmal Khatri said, “After a long time, we have been able to put up such a show in the state, where almost all the districts participated. We will plan another major protest next month to raise issues both at the central and the state level.”
Asked about the absence of AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Madhusudan Mistry in the protest, Khatri said he was busy in the march taken out in Delhi.