Amid talks about entry of Priyanka Gandhi in the electoral politics, and her subsequent denial of the same, a Congress worker here Monday raked up a controversy by putting up a poster likening Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi to Mahatma Gandhi, while asking his sister to take care of her family.
The poster was put up by Mohammad Aslam, who claimed to be former vice-president in the city Congress committee of Allahabad. All such committees have been dissolved.
“Ab chalegi Rahul ki aandhi, Rahul Gandhi hain doosre Mahatma Gandhi; Priyanka sambhalo grihasthi ki kamaan, Rahul sambhalo Congress ki kamaan (Only Rahul’s wind will blow, he is the second Mahatma; Priyanka, you take care of the household, Rahul will take care of the Congress),” read the poster, which was put up at Subhash Chauraha this afternoon.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Repeated efforts to contact Aslam proved futile.
Contacted, UP Congress spokesperson, Satya Dev Tripathi, said: “We have come to know about it from the media. Our stand is clear. No Congressman is authorised to speak in the matter involving the family of our party president. Anybody doing such a thing is only seeking cheap publicity”.
He said the party’s “disciplinary committee chairman can take suo motu cognisance of the matter”. “Normally, a report from the city committee is initiated in such manners, but they (the committees) are currently dissolved,” he added.
Abhay Awasthi, who was the city Congress chief in the now-dissolved committee, said that Aslam was one of the vice-presidents in his committee. “In any case, it is a poster in his individual capacity. We have nothing to with it. Also, as things are, the committees are dissolved,” said Awasthi.
In the past, a group of local Congress workers had put up posters asking Priyanka to take charge of the party. Today’s poster was being seen as a counter to the same by another local group of the party.
Allahabad zone coordinator, Aslam Rainee, however, said there was city vice-president named Aslam “It may be that he has put up a poster at the instance of some other party workers. As far as we are concerned, there is no confusion over the fact that our leaders are party president (Sonia Gandhi) and Rahul Gandhi,” he said.