A Congress leader from Bulandshahr was shot dead on Saturday night by unidentified men who entered his home on the pretext of gifting him Diwali sweets.
The police have launched a probe and are trying to trace the three gunmen, who escaped on motorcycles. Police sources said they suspected that a political rival of the leader could be behind the murder.
Congress leader and district head of the Rajeev Gandhi Panchayat Raj Prakoshtha, Shanti Swaroop Sharma (41), was shot at 10 times in his home in Sushila Vihar under city police station area. Sharma’s family rushed him to the hospital after the attack but doctors pronounced him dead minutes after he was admitted.
“The family has informed us that three bike-borne men had arrived at their home on Saturday night. Two of them entered the house, while one remained outside. Family members rushed to the spot after they heard the gunshots. The accused fled before anyone could have seen them. The police are trying to figure out the reason behind the attack,” said SSP Bulandshaher Sonia Singh.
Sources in the police department told The Indian Express that Sharma had a political rival named Amit Thakur in his village, who allegedly had connections with two local gangsters, Balram Thakur and Anil Dujana. “Amit was in jail in connection with a murder case and got out on bail just last week. It is suspected that he is the person behind the killing,” said a police officer on condition of anonymity.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review