The ‘primaries’ to elect the Congress candidate for Sant Kabir Nagar parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh will begin February 12 and will be completed within 15 days.
Sant Kabir Nagar and Varanasi Lok Sabha are two constituencies in UP, from a total of 15 across India, selected by Congress for US-style election to select party candidates introduced by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi. A 12 member team of senior leaders, chosen from across the country, will conduct the primaries. Varanasi would be taken up in next phase.
“We plan to complete the process in 15 days time. Sant Kabir Nagar, would be taken up along with one constituency each from Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan” said Prakash Joshi, who is part of the two member authority headed by senior leader Ghulam Nabi Azad, to look into the entire process of “Congress Primaries”.
Congress does not have a strong base in Sant Kabir Nagar, which became Lok Sabha constituency in 2008. In 2009 Lok Sabha election, the seat was won by BSP candidate Bhishma Shankar Tiwari and Congress candidate Fazley Mahmood had come at fifth position.
According to sources in the party, the team of 12 “returning officers” hailing from other states and between 35-50 years of age are mostly from NSUI and Youth Congress. Two returning officers have been appointed for each of the five Vidhan Sabha seats in the constituency. The entire team would reach the constituency on February 11 and would start the preparation of voter list from February 12.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
As per the instructions, voter list would include office bearers and members of AICC and state Congress Committee from the concerned district, all the office bearers of district congress committee as well as all the district units of frontal organisations, MLAs, MPs, MLCs from the region and candidates in previous assembly and Lok Sabha elections. Apart from these voters from the cadre, the team would also make chairmen and directors of government co-operative societies and federations, along with the district presidents of professional associations like Indian Medical Association, Bar association, Engineers as well as traders associations.
The team has been asked to complete the voter list in one week and then call for nominations. Each eligible applicant would be required to submit their nominations along with the application fee of Rs 5,000, which has to be given in the form of a demand draft in favour of “Central Election Authority of Indian Youth Congress”. Then, each of the eligible applicant would be given a symbol and would be given four days time to campaign in the entire constituency. Before final voting, a convention would be held, where each applicant would be expected to deliver “their vision” before the voters.