Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma has bluntly questioned Congress “primaries” introduced by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi, saying “tickets were being auctioned under the system”.
“With due respect to Rahul Gandhi, I do not agree with this system as I feel tickets are being auctioned,” said Beni in Lucknow on Monday.
The Congress “primaries” has been introduced in two Lok Sabha constituencies of UP: Sant Kabir Nagar and Ambedkar Nagar.
Beni alleged that the system of primaries is being sabotaged by the the Samajwadi Party leaders, who, according to him, have got enrolled as members and were playing a significant role in selection of the party candidate. “Since Congress is very weak here, it is the SP men who are making members and finally they would play the role in voting for Congress candidate, which should not be done.”
When asked if he has opposed the system before the party high command, Beni said he planned to do this through the media. He denied having any vested interests in the two UP seats.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Further, saying it was after 20 years that the Congress got the chance to attract minority votes for its revival in UP, Beni praised Aligarh Muslim University students for “boycotting Mulayam Singh Yadav’s visit”.
“I wish to thank AMU students for boycotting Mulayam Singh Yadav. It came late but at the right time and has sent out the right message to people of this country. Students have done it with the realisation of the truth,” said Beni.
Asked about the rallies of BJP’s Narendra Modi, Mulayam and AAP’s Arvind Kejriwal to be held on the same day in UP, Beni termed all three of them “liars” and said: “Modi, Mulayam and Kejriwal never speak the truth.”
He also said he was unhappy with the party for not utilising his true potential.