Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma has bluntly questioned Congress “primaries” introduced by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi, saying “tickets were being auctioned under the system”.
“With due respect to Rahul Gandhi, I do not agree with this system as I feel tickets are being auctioned,” said Beni in Lucknow on Monday.
The Congress “primaries” has been introduced in two Lok Sabha constituencies of UP: Sant Kabir Nagar and Ambedkar Nagar.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Beni alleged that the system of primaries is being sabotaged by the the Samajwadi Party leaders, who, according to him, have got enrolled as members and were playing a significant role in selection of the party candidate. “Since Congress is very weak here, it is the SP men who are making members and finally they would play the role in voting for Congress candidate, which should not be done.”
When asked if he has opposed the system before the party high command, Beni said he planned to do this through the media. He denied having any vested interests in the two UP seats.
Further, saying it was after 20 years that the Congress got the chance to attract minority votes for its revival in UP, Beni praised Aligarh Muslim University students for “boycotting Mulayam Singh Yadav’s visit”.
“I wish to thank AMU students for boycotting Mulayam Singh Yadav. It came late but at the right time and has sent out the right message to people of this country. Students have done it with the realisation of the truth,” said Beni.
Asked about the rallies of BJP’s Narendra Modi, Mulayam and AAP’s Arvind Kejriwal to be held on the same day in UP, Beni termed all three of them “liars” and said: “Modi, Mulayam and Kejriwal never speak the truth.”
He also said he was unhappy with the party for not utilising his true potential.