Tension prevailed in Lucknow’s Old City area on Friday evening after Hindus and Muslims clashed, leading to heavy police force being deployed at the spot.
Police said a function on bhajans was being held at a Hanuman temple in the area where the organisers also distributed sherbet to devotees. Initially, the quarrel started when local Muslims objected to the use of loudspeaker at the temple at the time of azaan for Friday prayers.
“At the time of azaan, the members of Muslim community objected to the use of loudspeaker at the temple, as it was a new tradition. The matter was resolved then. But later in the evening, the two groups quarreled and indulged in stone pelting,” said Circle Officer Raj Kumar.
- SGPC task force, aides of parallel Jathedars clash, three injured outside Golden temple
- Clash between two communities in Bihar, five held
- Noida mosque allegedly vandalised, police deployed
- Tension in Ghaziabad area after video of temple firing
- Communal clash in Lucknow: SP, BJP corporators accuse each other of leading mobs
- Express investigation part-II: My loudspeaker versus your loudspeaker
Sources said in the evening, objections were raised by some persons over the glasses that were left scattered after sherbet was distributed to devotees at the temple. This led to a clash with both sides indulging in stone pelting.
The two groups were soon joined by others from their communities and both sides reportedly opened fire. The situation was brought under control after the police arrived at the spot.
“It has been reported that there were instances of firing, but these are yet to be confirmed… No injured person has approached the police till now,” said Kumar.
“The situation in the area, where both Hindus and Muslims live, is under control and we are identifying the rioters so that they can be arrested,” he added.