Samajwadi Party’s youth leaders, who were projected as the force behind the party’s success in the 2012 assembly elections, are now facing the wrath of senior leaders for their “dismal” role in the Lok Sabha elections. SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav is learnt to have even asked Akhilesh to review their performance.
Prominent among those who face the axe is Amitabh Bajpayee, the former president of Mulayam Singh Youth Brigade, who was last seen cycling from Delhi to Lucknow during the party’s rally before polls. Several ministers reported that Bajpayee visited them regularly but did not show up during campaigning.
Pradeep Tiwari from Kanpur, who was appointed state president of Lohia Vahini, was criticised for flaunting his connection with the CM. “Tiwari has a group of 10-15 boys who, during any function, seat themselves at strategic points to project him as a leader,” said a senior SP functionary. Tiwari, too, allegedly could not develop a statewide organisation of Lohia Vahini whose members dress up in red shirts and black pants. Then there is Atul Pradhan, the Gurjar youth leader from Meerut who was appointed state president of Samajwadi Chatra Sabha despite reports of having a tainted image and losing the assembly elections in 2012.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“He always moved around with boys with painted bodies. They would reach every function with placards to show his clout but at the ground level he was an utter failure,” a minister from western region told The Sunday Express.
Rajpal Kashyap, who was given minister of state status with his appointment as Chairman of Fisheries Development Corporation, did not click as a leader among Most Backward Class (MBC) either. It was on Kashyap’s demand that Akhilesh had declared April 5 as a holiday to mark the birth anniversary of Nishadraj. Projecting him as an MBC face, the CM had also announced inclusion of 17 MBCs in the scheduled castes list.
Raja Chaturvedi, who has now been stripped of the minister of state status, was ignored even as he was projected as a young Brahmin face Nirbhay Patel, who was appointed as state president of Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha. too had little work to show during the polls. He was hardly seen during campaigning.
Akhilesh is the state president of SP and in-charge of four frontal youth organisations of the party— Lohia Vahini, Mulayam Singh Youth Brigade, Samajwadi Yuvjan Sabha and Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha. Members of these four organisations remain in direct touch with him — something that does not go down well with senior leaders.