Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Monday recommended a CBI inquiry into the murder of a businessman in Sultanpur district, following which the deceased’s family, who had refused to cremate the body, agreed to perform the last rites.
Keeping in view the demand of the family members of Uma Shankar Maurya, who was shot dead on March 3, the CM has recommended the Centre to conduct a CBI inquiry into the incident, an official spokesperson said. The CM also announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the family.
- Lohia, Ambedkar in frame, SP says will stay with BSP for long
- UP by-elections: Gorakhpur, Phulpur go to polls tomorrow, all you need to know
- Akhilesh Yadav on Padmaavat: Those ordering lathicharge are also behind the protests
- Badaun gangrape: Akhilesh govt will seek CBI probe; Rahul visits victims’ families, Maya follows today
- CM admits budget prepared keeping in mind SPs election manifesto
- Raja Bhaiya was ‘unleashed’ on Uttar Pradesh by Akhilesh Yadav govt: Mayawati
The body of Maurya, a brick kiln owner, had been lying in the family house at Sindauli village in Chaanda police station for last four days. He was killed around six months after his younger Rama Kant Maurya was shot dead at the brick kiln on September 4 last year, said SHO of local police station, RP Ojha.
The victim’s neighbour Sanjay Singh and his two associates Faheem and Ram Shankar Yadav, who are already lodged in jail in Ramakant’s murder case, have been named in Maurya’s murder case too.
SSP, Sultanpur, Vijay Yadav said, Maurya and Singh had business rivalry. Victim’s family had alleged that Maurya’s murder was planned by Singh from inside the jail. They have alleged that Singh had engaged his aide Santosh Upadhyay and two unidentified shooters for Maurya’s murder, said Yadav.
The SSP said, “Family cremated the body today after state government recommended CBI investigation.”
He added, a police gunner has also been provided to the family.
Maurya (30) was shot at by two motorcycle assailants in Chanda area of Sultanpur district. He died at a hospital.