A recent meeting between BSP MP and zonal coordinator (western region), Munquad Ali and Bareilly-based cleric Tauqeer Raza Khan has fuelled speculations about the latter joining BSP. Raza recently snapped ties with SP and also relinquished the minister of state status accorded to him by the Akhilesh Yadav government.
“It was formal meeting. Munquad Ali visited me at my Bareilly residence last week. I cannot comment on the future as my agenda is to prevent communal forces in the upcoming elections,” Raza said. Munquad Ali too confirmed meeting Raza.
However, despite their old relations, as claimed by both Raza and Munquad, it was the first time that the latter had visited the cleric’s house in Bareilly. Raza, meanwhile, said he “is keeping all options open”.
“I can align with any secular front. This was the first time that Munquad Ali came to my house. It is too premature to say that I am aligning with BSP. They have their own system of declaring things,” Raza said.
The cleric is also the president of Ittehad-e-Millat Council (IMC), which had announced support to SP in the coming Lok Sabha elections. In 2009 Lok Sabha elections, IMC had supported Congress, which won the Bareilly seat.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“BSP has dropped Sudheer Maurya from Bareilly. I am not going to contest, but want to see communal forces defeated,” Raza said.
Sources said Bareilly was the bone of contention between Raza and SP. Raza was against SP fielding Ayesha Islam, wife of MLA Shahzil Islam who had won as IMC candidate, but switched to SP.