- CBSE 12th Result 2018 Live Updates: Class 12 results declared, Trivandrum registers highest pass percentage with 97.32%
- Uttarakhand UK Board 12th Result 2018 LIVE: Intermediate result declared at ubse.uk.gov.in, uaresults.nic.in, Divyanshi Raj topper
- UK Board 10th Result 2018 LIVE Updates: Result declared at uaresults.nic.in, top 3 rank holders
Inmates at Deoria district jail clashed with security guards, pelted them with stones and vandalised offices and the hospital property leaving at least 33 people, including nine prison officials, injured Tuesday morning.
Police had to resort to lathi charge and firing in air to disperse the protesting prisoners. It took two hours for the officials, led by superintendent of police and district magistrate, to bring the situation under control.
Deoria Jail Superintendent Rang Bahadur said the dispute broke out between jail staff and inmates after five prisoners caught a murder convict Dhanwantri and started beating him suspecting that he had complained against them to the jail officials. As the jail staff intervened and rescued the inmate, the group of prisoners assembled other inmates and started pelting stones on security personnel and other staff after damaging an under-construction wall, he added.
- Mandoli prisons: EDMC slaps Rs 6-crore penalty on Delhi government
- NHRC report out, backs torture claims of SIMI men in Bhopal jail
- Bengal govt launches e-mulaqat: Prisoners can now chat with family through video call
- Lucknow: Arson in Ghazipur jail, 790 prisoners pelt stones at staff
- Inmates suicide sparks rampage in Kannauj jail
- Over 150 hurt in Meerut jail clash,RAF called in
The prisoners also entered the jail kitchen and threw out the food and other items. Jail officials immediately informed the police and administration about the violence.
“A case will be registered against the prisoners who provoked other inmates and indulged in violence,” said SP, Deoria, Prabhakar Chaudhary.
He said, the five prisoners who assaulted another inmate, a murder convict, were recently transferred to Deoria from Mau district jail.
Contacted, IG Prisons, D S Chauhan said, situation is under control and those who provoked the prisoners have been identified.
Nine policemen, including SP Prabhakar Chaudhary, ASP NK Singh and CO (City) Sushil Kumar Singh, sustained injuries. Around 24 inmates too sustained minor injuries and were admitted to the jail hospital, Jail Superintendent said.
District Magistrate Anita Srivastava said the situation was under control and (Provincial Armed Constabulary) PAC was deployed.