Having failed to exhume the bodies of the Badaun rape victims for a fresh autopsy, the CBI will now be sending their personal belongings and vaginal swabs for DNA analysis at a laboratory in Hyderabad.
CBI sources said the clothes and a few other personal belongings of the minor victims were collected by the agency from the family members on the suggestion of a three-member panel of the forensic experts accompanying it.
Vaginal swabs collected by local doctors have also been seized by the agency, which will soon be sent to the Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics in Hyderabad for DNA analysis, the sources said. They said the centre is likely to give a report within a week to the agency.
The team of CBI and medical board had visited the family of the two rape victims as it could not conduct a fresh autopsy as the rising water level of River Ganga inundated the graves of the two sisters.
The sources said the analysis of DNA collected from the personal belongings is expected to provide evidence indicating the rapists. They said swabs can be stored for long and the results may not be affected.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In the technique, the forensic experts first try to differentiate male and female cells in the swab using a variety of chemicals and later from the male cells they identify DNA in sperm cells. By doing the cross-matching with the suspects, the forensic experts can identify the accused.
In the absence of any fresh autopsy, the medical board has to rely on DNA analysis which can be recovered from the personal belongings of the victims.
The alleged rape and murder had come to light on May 28 when the bodies of two cousins, aged 14 and 15 years old, were found hanging from a tree in the village in Usait area in UP’s Badaun district, sparking a nationwide outrage.