The five suspects in the alleged rape and murder of two sisters in UP’s Badaun district on May 28, are likely to walk free by next week.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday said it will “not file a chargesheet against the accused in custody at this stage”.
The CBI decision comes after receiving the opinion of the medical board constituted in the case, which had concluded that “sexual assault on either of the victims appears doubtful”, a senior CBI official said. The medical board comprised three AIIMS doctors and was headed by Dr Adarsh Kumar.
Sources said the opinion of medical board, which was in line with forensic reports, means that the CBI will now officially begin investigating the family of the deceased in Katra Sadatganj village.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“On the basis of investigations conducted so far, the CBI is not going to file a chargesheet against five suspects in custody at this stage,
a CBI spokesperson said.
The agency, however, clarified that “no one is being given a clean chit as of now” and a conclusion would be reached and conveyed to the court after the completion of investigation.
The CBI was expected to file its chargesheet against the five accused on Monday at the special CBI court of Additional District Judge Anil Kumar in Badaun.
The five suspects arrested by the UP Police — Pappu Yadav, Awadhesh Yadav and Urvesh Yadav (three brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav — will now get bail as they would have completed 90 days in custody.
On June 7, Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee said it was possible that one of the girls had not been raped, and that the killings might have been triggered due to a property dispute.
The CBI carried out polygraph tests on the accused and on the fathers of the two victims, an uncle and an eyewitness.
Relying then on the polygraph tests, however, the CBI said the tests on the accused showed virtually no deception, while the tests on the members of the girls’ families showed deception “to quite an extent”.
The girls were buried by the Ganga at a spot which went under water amid heavy rain last month, putting paid to the CBI’s plans to exhume their bodies.