In Amethi, while campaigning for his brother Rahul, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra tried to strike an emotional chord with the public by comparing her brother to her “visionary father” Rajiv Gandhi. Priyanka also chalked out development schemes announced by her brother and said: “Those who have criticised Rajiv Gandhi are today criticising Rahul because like my father, even Rahul has a long-term vision.”
She said her father Rajiv died for the country and told the crowd that how she cried when she had shifted her focus from Amethi to Rae Bareli in 2004.
“I used to come here with my father earlier. In 2004, when I shifted my focus to Rae Bareli, I have made brothers, sisters and friends here. In 2004, while campaigning for my mother, I cried, when I was passing Amethi on my way to Rae Bareli. No outsider will be able to understand this emotion,” she said.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Cautioning the public about “outsiders”, she said: “There are leaders, who are outsiders and have come here to contest. They say there are no roads, no electricity because they have little understanding of the region and do not know the love we share with you,” in an apparent jibe at BJP’s Smriti Irani.
She said. “Ek Neta hain, jo Chandani Chowk se ladi thi. Zara Chandani Chowk ke logon se puchhiye.. Kya Madam dobara gayi wahan (There is a leader, who had contested from Chandani Chowk. Go and ask people of Chandani Chowk if she had re-visited them again).
Smriti Irani, who is also campaigning in the region tweeted: “Pehle Smt Vadra ye batayein ki Rahulji 10 saal mein kitni baar Amethi aaye.. Rishton ke naam pe Amethi ko vikaas se vanchit rakhte hain aur doosro par chheentakashi karte hain” (First Mrs Vadra should tell that in past 10 years, how many times has Rahul visited Amethi. In the name of relations, Amethi has been kept away from development.)
Actor-turned politician Smriti Irani had unsuccessfully contested the 2004 elections from Chandni Chowk and has been pitted against Rahul Gandhi from Amethi. Priyanka said she was sure the public will be able to distinguish between “drama and reality” this elections.
Priyanka held 13 public meetings in various villages of Jagdishpur and also held “foot-march” in Musafirkhana and gave surprise visit to AAP workers at Banbharia village, shook hands and even interacted with them.