At least six Congress workers, including a party spokesman were injured Friday as supporters of ‘Bundelkhand Adhikar Sena’ allegedly indulged in vandalism and heavy brick-batting at the Congress headquarters here.
Carrying black flags and lathis, about 200 protesters, led by the outfit’s chief Guddu Rajput, gathered outside the party headquarters and raised slogans alleging neglect of Bundelkhand and denial of special package for the region.
The protest soon turned violent as the supporters damaged doors, window panes, furniture of the office and four-wheelers parked at the premises besides beating up party workers.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
At least half-a-dozen workers including spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi were injured and had to be rushed to hospital for treatment, Congress sources said.
The mob of protesters could be controlled only after police arrived and arrested about 18 of them.
A case has been lodged at the Hussainganj police station and strict action would be taken against all those involved in the attack, police said.
Meanwhile, UPCC president Nirmal Khatri strongly condemned the incident and said that a complaint will be lodged with the Election Commission regarding the incident.
Guddu is son of former Congress leader Ganga Charan Rajput who is presently with BJP, Khatri said. “Ganga Charan rang me up to enquire who all were at the party office as some people from Bundelkhand want to submit a memorandum. Soon after, a mob arrived and attacked,” he said.
Chairman of Congress’ communication department, Satyadev Tripathi said the attack had been carried out at the instigation of Ganga Charan and his son Guddu. “Ganga Charan is presently in BJP and had also been seeking its ticket from Mahoba for his son. We will complain to the EC that a BJP leader instigated the attack,” Tripathi said while claiming that the protestors also raised slogans in favour of BJP and Rajnath Singh.
Senior leader and Congress’ Lok Sabha nominee from Lucknow Lok Sabha seat Rita BahugunaJoshi termed the attack a “preplanned conspiracy” of BJP and ruling Samajwadi Party.
“It once again proved the connivance between these two parties”, she said adding that police arrived at the spot late indicating at the prevailing anarchy in the state.