BJP is contemplating fielding BSP MLC Vinay Shakya as its candidate against SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s grandnephew Tej Pratap Singh Yadav from Mainpuri Lok Sabha seat in the bypoll, it has been learnt.
Significantly, BSP is not fighting the bypolls in Mainpuri and 10 Assembly seats scheduled on September 13. Shakya for his part denies having any plan to join BJP.
BJP is likely to declare the list of candidates for the bypolls on Friday.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Vinay Shakya contested the 2009 Lok Sabha election in Mainpuri as BSP candidate against Mulayam who defeated him by a margin of 1.73 lakh votes. Vinay had secured 2.19 lakh votes while BJP candidate Tripti Shakya could bag only 56265 votes.
Sources said BJP president Amit Shah is looking to field a strong candidate from the Shakya community in Mainpuri where the party has never won.
Tripti Shakya and another BJP leader Prem Singh Shakya are also in the race for party ticket from the SP bastion.
In the 2014 general elections, BJP had fielded a Thakur candidate, SS Chauhan, who secured 2.31 lakh votes but lost to Mulayam by a margin of 3.64 lakh votes. BSP candidate Sanghmitra Maurya had got 1.42 lakh votes.
While sources in BJP confirmed that Vinay Shakya’s name has been forwarded to party top brass in Delhi to consider for party ticket in Mainpuri, he denied any plan to join BJP or contest Lok Sabha byelection from Mainpuri.
“I have no plan to join BJP or to contest Lok Sabha the byelection from Mainpuri. I am a worker of BSP for past 20 years and BSP has decided not to contest byelection,” Vinay said.
Vinay’s term as member of UP Legislative Council is ending on May 25, 2015.
“The final decision about Vinay Shakya has to be taken by party national president, but Shakya has expressed his desire to join BJP and contest from Mainpuri with some senior party leaders,” said a BJP leader.
Sources said Vinay Shakya’s name is not included in the panel of candidates as he is yet to join the BJP.
The panel names Prem Singh Shakya and Ashok Chauhan.
Chauhan, a Thakur, a former BJP, had switched to BSP after the 2007 Assembly polls. He returned to BJP in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
BJP state president Laxmikant Bajpai denied having any about the party’s plan to give Lok Sabha ticket to Vinay Shakya. “No issue related to joining of Vinay Shakya or giving ticket to him has come before me so far,” Bajpai told The Indian Express.