BJP is contemplating fielding BSP MLC Vinay Shakya as its candidate against SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s grandnephew Tej Pratap Singh Yadav from Mainpuri Lok Sabha seat in the bypoll, it has been learnt.
Significantly, BSP is not fighting the bypolls in Mainpuri and 10 Assembly seats scheduled on September 13. Shakya for his part denies having any plan to join BJP.
BJP is likely to declare the list of candidates for the bypolls on Friday.
Vinay Shakya contested the 2009 Lok Sabha election in Mainpuri as BSP candidate against Mulayam who defeated him by a margin of 1.73 lakh votes. Vinay had secured 2.19 lakh votes while BJP candidate Tripti Shakya could bag only 56265 votes.
Sources said BJP president Amit Shah is looking to field a strong candidate from the Shakya community in Mainpuri where the party has never won.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Tripti Shakya and another BJP leader Prem Singh Shakya are also in the race for party ticket from the SP bastion.
In the 2014 general elections, BJP had fielded a Thakur candidate, SS Chauhan, who secured 2.31 lakh votes but lost to Mulayam by a margin of 3.64 lakh votes. BSP candidate Sanghmitra Maurya had got 1.42 lakh votes.
While sources in BJP confirmed that Vinay Shakya’s name has been forwarded to party top brass in Delhi to consider for party ticket in Mainpuri, he denied any plan to join BJP or contest Lok Sabha byelection from Mainpuri.
“I have no plan to join BJP or to contest Lok Sabha the byelection from Mainpuri. I am a worker of BSP for past 20 years and BSP has decided not to contest byelection,” Vinay said.
Vinay’s term as member of UP Legislative Council is ending on May 25, 2015.
“The final decision about Vinay Shakya has to be taken by party national president, but Shakya has expressed his desire to join BJP and contest from Mainpuri with some senior party leaders,” said a BJP leader.
Sources said Vinay Shakya’s name is not included in the panel of candidates as he is yet to join the BJP.
The panel names Prem Singh Shakya and Ashok Chauhan.
Chauhan, a Thakur, a former BJP, had switched to BSP after the 2007 Assembly polls. He returned to BJP in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
BJP state president Laxmikant Bajpai denied having any about the party’s plan to give Lok Sabha ticket to Vinay Shakya. “No issue related to joining of Vinay Shakya or giving ticket to him has come before me so far,” Bajpai told The Indian Express.