The BSP and BJP have raised objections to the the Election Commissions proposal to change the reservation status of Mirzapur and Robertsganj Lok Sabha constituencies.
Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha had Saturday called a meeting of all recognised national and state parties to inform them about the proposal to change the reservation status of two LS constituencies and eight Assembly seats.
Mirzapur is currently an unreserved parliamentary constituency and the EC has proposed to reserve it for Scheduled Castes (SCs). Robertsganj LS seat is currently reserved for the SCs and the Commission has proposed to de-reserve it.
BSPs representative and former minister Rakesh Dhar Tripathi,who has been declared partys candidate from Mirzapur,objected to the ECs proposal to reserve the Mirzapur LS constituency. According to sources,Tripathi said Mirzapur was proposed to be reserved according to the SC population counted in 2001census. He reportedly said the population of general and SCs have changed in the past 13 years.
Sources also said the BSP appealed to implement the proposed reservation after the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
BJPs representative Shyamnandan Singh said the population of SCs in Mirzapur was less than in Rae Bareli,but the latter was not being reserved so as to leave it for Congress president Sonia Gandhi to contest from the seat.
Four of five Assembly seats in Mirzapur were general,but the EC would still reserve the parliamentary seat, Singh said.
Congresss representative Kamal Yaqoob said very little time was given to discuss the issue with local party leaders. The meeting was called today while December 16 is the last date for filing the objections, Yaqoob said.
Other parties,including RLD,alleged discrepancies in the population figures being used to change the reservation status of these seats.
Meanwhile,CEO Umesh Sinha said the meeting was called to inform the parties about the EC notification on reservation and de-reservation of LS and Assembly constituencies. The population figures of 2001 census are being used in the current exercise,as it is part of delimitation process started in 2008 and then population figures of 2001 census were used.
The EC has proposed to reserve Obra and Duddhi in Sonbhadra for STs. While Obra is currently unreserved,Duddhi is reserved for SCs. Other unreserved Assembly seats that are going to be reserved for SCs include Saharanpur,Barhaj and Ghorawal.
Mehrauni,Salempur and Saidpur Assembly seats,which are currently reserved for SCs,are proposed to be de-reserved.