BJP former MP Ramakant Yadav, who lost the Azamagarh seat to Mulayam Singh Yadav this Lok Sabha elections, will contest from Mainpuri if the SP president vacates it to retain Azamgarh.
Mulayam defeated BJP candidate S S Chauhan in Mainpuri, a SP stronghold where Yadav votes are dominant, by a huge margin of 3.64 lakh votes.
Mulayam, who contested from Azamgarh to counter the impact of Narendra Modi wave in eastern UP, defeated Ramakant here by a margin of 63,204 votes. Ramakant polled 2.77 lakh votes.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Ramakant had won the Lok Sabha elections from Azamgarh twice, in 1996 and 1999, on SP symbol. He was elected from the same seat in 2004 on BSP ticket and had won it again in 2009 as BJP nominee.
“The party has asked me to start preparations for the Mainpuri bypoll. However, if Mulayam vacates Azamgarh, I will contest from there in the event of a bypoll,” Yadav told The Indian Express.
Ramakant also said state in-charge Amit Shah has assured him of a party ticket from Mainpuri, where, he said, he will start preparations along with the local BJP unit from June.Ramakant said: “I will surely win from Mainpuri, as locals are now against Mulayam. Caste equations and negative reaction of the locals on Mulayam’s plan to vacate the seat will work in my favour.”
Alleging use of unfair means against Mulayam, the former BJP MP said: “Mulayam won Azamgarh and Mainpuri using unfair means on polling day. Local police was deployed on various polling booths where Mulayam got maximum votes. Since BJP has come to power at the Centre, Central forces would be deployed at all polling stations during the bypoll.”
Mainpuri has around 3.5 lakh Yadav voters, followed by 2.5 lakh Shakya voters, 1.5 lakh Lodh voters and around one lakh Thakur voters.