BJP former MP Ramakant Yadav, who lost the Azamagarh seat to Mulayam Singh Yadav this Lok Sabha elections, will contest from Mainpuri if the SP president vacates it to retain Azamgarh.
Mulayam defeated BJP candidate S S Chauhan in Mainpuri, a SP stronghold where Yadav votes are dominant, by a huge margin of 3.64 lakh votes.
Mulayam, who contested from Azamgarh to counter the impact of Narendra Modi wave in eastern UP, defeated Ramakant here by a margin of 63,204 votes. Ramakant polled 2.77 lakh votes.
Ramakant had won the Lok Sabha elections from Azamgarh twice, in 1996 and 1999, on SP symbol. He was elected from the same seat in 2004 on BSP ticket and had won it again in 2009 as BJP nominee.
“The party has asked me to start preparations for the Mainpuri bypoll. However, if Mulayam vacates Azamgarh, I will contest from there in the event of a bypoll,” Yadav told The Indian Express.
Ramakant also said state in-charge Amit Shah has assured him of a party ticket from Mainpuri, where, he said, he will start preparations along with the local BJP unit from June.Ramakant said: “I will surely win from Mainpuri, as locals are now against Mulayam. Caste equations and negative reaction of the locals on Mulayam’s plan to vacate the seat will work in my favour.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Alleging use of unfair means against Mulayam, the former BJP MP said: “Mulayam won Azamgarh and Mainpuri using unfair means on polling day. Local police was deployed on various polling booths where Mulayam got maximum votes. Since BJP has come to power at the Centre, Central forces would be deployed at all polling stations during the bypoll.”
Mainpuri has around 3.5 lakh Yadav voters, followed by 2.5 lakh Shakya voters, 1.5 lakh Lodh voters and around one lakh Thakur voters.