BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s electioneering blitzkrieg will take off in Varanasi with the inauguration of a new election office Tuesday in the Sigra area of the holy city.
Modi will not be using the sprawling central election office set up by party’s sitting MP Murli Manohar Joshi who has now been shifted to Kanpur.
“BJP general secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh Amit Shah would be here on Tuesday, April 1, to inaugurate Modi’s election office in Sigra,” the party’s media in-charge for ‘Kashi Prant’ unit Sanjay Bharadwaj said.
Modi’s election coordination committee in Varanasi has hired ground floor of a multi-storey apartment for a period of April 1 to May 20. The apartment’s owner is not charging rent for the portion, confirmed Ashok Dhawan, who heads the local election coordination committee.
The apartment, constructed on the land of Bharat Ranta awardee Bhagwan Das, is owned by Shiv Prasad Gupt, the founder of Kashi Vidyapith in Varanasi. Presently, only Bhagwan Das’ grandson Sameer Kant lives on the top floor of the apartment.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The new place was finalised for Modi’s election office as the one of Joshiji was far from the main city area,” said Dhawan.
Joshi’s election office, which was inaugurated by his wife Tarla Joshi in February, and was spread on more than two-acres, has been closed.
Meanwhile, Bharadwaj said party’s aim is to ensure that “Modi he defeats his nearest rival by no less than a margin of five lakh votes.”
He said Shah will be coming to the city to “bless us and guide us”. Shah, a Modi aide and former Gujarat home minister, is likely to formally address a press conference, a rarity since he was made the UP in-charge by BJP.
Bharadwaj asserted that Modi’s decision to fight from Varanasi has “galvanised voters in favour of the BJP across the entire Poorvanchal region which is home to about 14 Lok Sabha seats. We hope to win at least 10 of these but would not be surprised if we end up bagging all of these”.