Among the 71 seats in its kitty in UP, the BJP has opened its account for the first time at seven of them — Sambhal, Mainpuri, Ambedkar Nagar (earlier known as Akbarpur), Ghosi, Salempur, Ballia, Phulpur and Lalganj. The party fielded first-timers on six of these seats.
In Sambhal, BJP candidate Satyapal Saini, who is party’s district president of Moradabad and contested for the first time, defeated SP’s Shafiq-Ur-Rehaman Barq by a slim margin of 5,174 votes. Sambhal is dominated by Muslims followed by Jatavs and Yadavs. A division of Muslim votes between SP and BSP — both fielded Muslim candidates — is said to have led to BJP’s victory.
In Ambedkar Nagar, Hariom Pandey, another newbie, defeated sitting BSP MP Rakesh Pandey by a margin of 1.39 lakh votes. Senior party leader Vinay Katiyar had contested here in 2009 and lost to BSP.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
In Ghosi, the party had relied on former minister Hari Narain Rajbhar, a first-timer in Lok Sabha elections. Rajbhar, who had left BJP with former CM Kalyan Singh in 2009, has defeated BSP’s sitting MP Dara Singh Chauhan. Muscleman candidate of Quami Ekta Dal Mukhtar Ansari stood third here.
BJP candidate in Salempur Ravindra Kushwaha, son of former SP MP Harikeval Prasad, has defeated BSP’s Ravi Shankar Singh ‘Pappu’ by 2.38 lakh votes. In 2009, BJP had left Salempur seat for its then NDA partner, JD(U).
Ravi Shankar Singh ‘Pappu’, then JD(U) candidate, was placed fourth.
In Ballia, BJP candidate Bharat Singh has defeated sitting SP MP Neeraj Shekhar by 1.39 lakh votes. BJP’s Neelam Sonkar defeated BSP’s sitting MP Dr Baliram in Lalganj where Bechai Saroj of SP is paced stood second.
BJP MLA from Sirathu Keshav Prasad Maurya defeated BSP’s sitting MP Kapil Muni Karwariya in SP stronghold Phulpur. Maurya got over five lakh votes against SP candidate Dharam Raj Singh Patel and BSP’ Karwariyaget; both polled less than 2 lakh votes each. Congress;s Md Kaif stood fourth.
BJP, however, failed to record a win in SP stronghold Mainpuri. BJP nominee S S Chauhan lost to SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav after securing 2.31 lakh votes.