Two cousin brothers — Mukul Rastogi (38) and Sandeep Rastogi (34) — were killed in a drunken brawl in Quila police station area of Bareilly on Wednesday. Mukul, a jeweller, was a resident of Sahukar locality in Badaun district while Sandeep, also a jeweller, lived in Malukpur locality of Bareilly.
An FIR against three persons — Danny, Piyush, Dhanshu — and some unidentified persons was lodged at the Quila police station. No arrests have been made so far.
- Four held in Bareilly: Muslim man elopes with Hindu girl, house ransacked
- Uttar Pradesh: BJP, cops spar over man’s arrest in extortion case
- Bareilly kanwar violence: Police seek govt nod to prosecute 38
- Behind Bareilly DM’s Facebook post, a tale similar to Kasganj
- Padmaavat protest: UP Kshatriya outfit leader threatens to raze Parliament, SC, booked for sedition
- UP civic body head booked for ‘sedition’
According to SHO, Quila police station, Mohammad Qasim, preliminary inquiry revealed that Mukul along with his wife and children had come to Bareilly to the house of his father-in-law to celebrate Holi. On Wednesday afternoon, Sandeep and Mukul reportedly consumed liquor at a shop in Malukpur locality and later decided to join ‘Ram Baraat’, a procession taken out in the area on the eve of Holi.
While they were walking towards the place from where the ‘baraat’ would have passed, they were allegedly hit by a motorcycle ridden by Danny and Piyush. The brothers started an argument with the duo, who were also drunk, added the SHO.
The argument took a violent turn as Sandeep and Mukul along with some locals began to thrash Danny and Piyush. The latter left the place, but returned after some time accompanied by their associates and fired at Sandeep and Mukul. Both sustained gunshot injuries and were rushed to the hospital where doctors declared them brought dead on arrival, said the SHO.