A 24-year-old woman, diagnosed with intellectual disability, is awaiting Central government’s nod that would discharge her from the Government Protection Home in Lucknow and send her off to her home in neighbouring Bangladesh.
The state government’s Home department, on its part, has forwarded the request for the deportation of Khalida to the Ministry of External Affair and is waiting for a response.
Khalida, who was first spotted by the police in Allahabad’s Kydganj area in May last year, was produced before the local court which sent her to the Protection Home after she failed to give any information related to her or her family.
At the Home, under the care of doctors and psychiatrists, Khalida slowly started recalling details about her family. She later told the officials that she is married to Tahidul Islam, has two minor children and lives in Kathalia area of Jhalokati district in Bangladesh.
In September last year, the court had directed the Superintendent of the Government Protection Home (Arti Singh) to approach the District Magistrate, Lucknow, and take up the matter of Khalida’s rehabilitation and deportation.
The DM’s letter to the state Home department was promptly forwarded to the MEA, which, according to Arti Singh, “has sought details of Khalida several times but is still to give directions”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“Khalida says she wanted to go to her brother Diluhar Akhoon, a madrasa teacher. She has yet to give details as to how she reached Allahabad,” said the superintendent.
Singh added that the MEA reportedly has taken up the matter with Bangladesh High Commission to verify the nationality and arrangement for Khalida’s repatriation to Bangladesh.
Earlier, about two months ago, a team of Foreigners Regional Registration Officers from Lucknow had visited the protection home and met Khalida. The team’s report mentioned that Khalida had fled from her home (in Bangladesh) following harassment from her husband and in-laws and had entered India through West Bengal border.