The BSP is working on gathering a huge crowd of its supporters for the 125th birth anniversary of B R Ambedkar, whom the BJP and Congress have also tried to claim as their icon in recent months, in Lucknow on April 14.
BSP leaders have been asked to bring five busloads of people from each of the 403 Assembly constituencies to Lucknow’s Ambedkar Memorial in Gomti Nagar. The party leaders said the gathering will be “one of the biggest” for BSP in Lucknow after the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
- BJP, Congress should desist from politics over Ayodhya issue: Mayawati
- BJP weakening constitutional institutions, media, accuses Mayawati
- Dalits miserable under BJP rule, PM does drama in Ambedkar name: Mayawati
- On Mahasankalp Diwas, Mayawati to address rally in Vadodara
- Appropriating Ambedkar
- Ambedkar not anti-Muslim, he drafted secular Constitution: Maya replies to BJP
Party sources said BSP chief Mayawati, who returned from Delhi last week, will address the gathering and pay tributes to Ambedkar. While Mayawati has attacked BJP and Prime Minister Narendra Modi over their attempts to “claim” Ambedkar’s legacy, she will be doing so for the first time in front of a gathering of her supporters.
With an apparent motive to lure Dalit votes in the Assembly elections next year, the BJP and Congress leaders have been invoking Ambedkar as an icon, while attacking Mayawati.
BSP’s UP president Ram Achal Rajbhar said, “This is the 125th birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar so BSP wants to celebrate it in a special way under the leadership of Behenji. More people than last year will participate this time.”
Mayawati is also scheduled to hold a meeting with all party coordinators from across the state after paying tributes to Ambedkar.