Akhilesh Yadav on Friday said he respected Mayawati and addressed her as “bua (maternal aunt)” while the BSP chief retorted that it would be an “insult” for her to call him her younger brother.
The UP CM’s remarks were an apparent bid to tone down Mulayam Singh Yadav’s sexist comments on Mayawati.
On Wednesday, the SP chief had in Faizabad said he was not sure if he should refer to Mayawati as “Srimati, Kunwari Beti or Behen”.
Mayawati had termed Mulayam’s statement as anti-women and casteist and said he should be in Agra mental asylum
At a rally in Bahraich, Akhilesh said: “Once (her) statue was shaken by someone and the statue broke. It was re-installed. We gave her respect….I call her bua because all my elders refer to her as behenji.”
Mayawati, who was addressing a rally in Roorkee, hit back saying there was “Laluaraj”(child’s regime) in UP.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
She said she would consider it her “tauheen (disgrace)” to consider Akhilesh as her younger brother “as he is the one who has a low mentality towards great saints and gurus (of whose parks have been built by her government).”
In Allahabad, PWD minister Shivpal Yadav reportedly made objectionable remarks about Mayawati and her relationship with BSP founder Kanshi Ram, and said she has lost her mind and needs treatment.
BSP general secretary Satish Chandra Misra said nothing dignified could be expected from Shivpal and other SP leaders.