Aam Aadmi Party’s candidate from Moradabad Khalid Parvez has announced withdrawal of his candidature amid allegations of being a bank defaulter. AAP on Tuesday also replaced its Shajahanpur candidate, Ashrafi Lal, with Reeta Singh, thus marking the first replacement of its candidate in the state.
“Tired of the constant allegations levelled against me by my own party members, I had called a press conference Monday and announced the withdrawal of my candidature,” Khalid told The Indian Express. His announcement came amid reports of his impending replacement as the party candidate from Moradabad.
Ever since the announcement of his name in the first list, Khalid had been mired in controversy with Rohilkhand zonal convenor Vishal Sharma leading the charge. Sharma had questioned the manner in which Khalid was chosen, alleging that Khalid is “an education mafia, has cases against him”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Khalid, however, said he will continue to support the party and will also attend Arvind’s rally in Varanasi on March 25. Later, allegations of Khalid having defaulted several crores of bank money also surfaced. Sharma led a delegation to Delhi in protest and party leader Sanjay Singh had said the matter would be put before PAC.
In the seventh list declared on Tuesday, AAP also replaced its Shajahanpur candidate with Reeta Singh.
Ashrafi Lal, who runs a trust on women empowerment, was announced as a candidate in party’s fifth list declared last Wednesday. “There are some candidates who hid facts which are now surfacing; hence, we are in the process of identifying such candidates and taking suitable action,” said Aniket, UP state office incharge.
Party sources said Dilip Yadav (Etah) and Ravindra Singh (Agra) are also likely to be replaced. Others who were Tuesday announced as party candidates are Rakesh Yadav (Firozabad), Salman Ali Khan (Rampur) and Ram Nivas Paswan (Bansgaon).
Kejriwal’s Varanasi rally now on March 25
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Arvind Kejriwal’s Varanasi rally, scheduled for March 23, will now be held on March 25 due to MLC elections. Senior party leader Sanjay Singh on Tuesday also held preparatory meetings for the rally with all eastern zone district teams, convenors and Lok Sabha candidates. The zone comprises of 21 districts and 28 Lok Sabhas.