Aam Aadmi Party’s candidate from Moradabad Khalid Parvez has announced withdrawal of his candidature amid allegations of being a bank defaulter. AAP on Tuesday also replaced its Shajahanpur candidate, Ashrafi Lal, with Reeta Singh, thus marking the first replacement of its candidate in the state.
“Tired of the constant allegations levelled against me by my own party members, I had called a press conference Monday and announced the withdrawal of my candidature,” Khalid told The Indian Express. His announcement came amid reports of his impending replacement as the party candidate from Moradabad.
Ever since the announcement of his name in the first list, Khalid had been mired in controversy with Rohilkhand zonal convenor Vishal Sharma leading the charge. Sharma had questioned the manner in which Khalid was chosen, alleging that Khalid is “an education mafia, has cases against him”.
Khalid, however, said he will continue to support the party and will also attend Arvind’s rally in Varanasi on March 25. Later, allegations of Khalid having defaulted several crores of bank money also surfaced. Sharma led a delegation to Delhi in protest and party leader Sanjay Singh had said the matter would be put before PAC.
In the seventh list declared on Tuesday, AAP also replaced its Shajahanpur candidate with Reeta Singh.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Ashrafi Lal, who runs a trust on women empowerment, was announced as a candidate in party’s fifth list declared last Wednesday. “There are some candidates who hid facts which are now surfacing; hence, we are in the process of identifying such candidates and taking suitable action,” said Aniket, UP state office incharge.
Party sources said Dilip Yadav (Etah) and Ravindra Singh (Agra) are also likely to be replaced. Others who were Tuesday announced as party candidates are Rakesh Yadav (Firozabad), Salman Ali Khan (Rampur) and Ram Nivas Paswan (Bansgaon).
Kejriwal’s Varanasi rally now on March 25
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Arvind Kejriwal’s Varanasi rally, scheduled for March 23, will now be held on March 25 due to MLC elections. Senior party leader Sanjay Singh on Tuesday also held preparatory meetings for the rally with all eastern zone district teams, convenors and Lok Sabha candidates. The zone comprises of 21 districts and 28 Lok Sabhas.