Situation in the district’s Jhunsi area, coming fresh from Sunday’s clash between groups of Brahmins (Giris) and Dalits (Bharatiyas) which killed one and injured many others, became tense again Monday when people from the latter group decided to take out a protest march in Mehmoodabad, demanding the arrest of two brothers of the former clan.
The group, according to the police, wanted to move towards the G T Road and stage a blockade. “On being stopped, they started pelting stones, damaging a private car and a police gypsy. Some people reached the roadways bus depot in Katka and set a bus on fire,” said Allahabad Senior Superintendent of Police, Umesh Kumar Srivastava. “We have deployed two company Provincial Armed Constabulary and The situation has been brought under control.”
On Sunday, history-sheeters Manoj alias Chhuttan Giri, his elder brother Pramod alias Bablu Giri, and their associates had attacked Shambhu Nath Bharatiya (33), Harish Chandra Bharatiya (45) and Rakesh Sahni (26) with bombs, besides opening fire on them. While Shambhu had died on the spot, Harish escaped with minor injuries. Rakesh was admitted to the hospital and continues to be in a critical condition.
Supporters of Bharatiyas had, in retaliation, set Giris’ office on Chhatnag road on fire, along with two of their bikes.
The two groups, involved in property dealing, are locked in a battle of supremacy in the area, the police say.
This supremacy, they add, used to sway in Bharatiyas favor when Chhuttan Giri was in jail, but his involvement in property dealing since his release on bail a few months ago led to a situation resulting in the gang war.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review