As many as 13 persons, including nine minors, were killed due to lightning and wall collapse following heavy rainfall in several parts of Uttar Pradesh during last 24 hours.
Lightning killed three children and left two others injured at Barwalia village in Kapilvastu police station area of Siddharth Nagar district. Tehsildar of Naughar area, Vimal Shukla told The Indian Express that the children were studying inside a madrasa when lightning struck klilling them around 8.00 am. Two others, including a teacher at the madrasa, were seriously injured, he added.
District Magistrate, Sidharth Nagar, Narendra Shankar Pandey said compensation would be released for the family of the victims.
- Thunderstorm kills over 70 across four states; heavy rain, dust storm to continue for next 72 hours
- Pakistan: 15 people killed in storm and flashfloods
- MHA issues fresh warning for thunderstorms in West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh
- Storms kill over 100 in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan
- Dust storm in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan: All your questions answered
- Over 70 killed in Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh dust storms, toll likely to rise; relief operation underway
Meanwhile, seven persons were killed in separate lightning strikes in Etawah too. Anisha (17), Mulayam (57), Akash Yadav (14), Tularam (55) and Akash (23), and three others including a teenaged boy who had come from Madhya Pradesh to meet a relative, were killed in separate incidents in different parts of the district. Etawah DM Nitin Bansal said that all seven deaths occurred while the victims were out of their homes.
In yet another incident, three children — Nisha (12), Deepak (10) and Deepchandra (8) — were killed when their house collapsed early morning in Kanpur. According to Kanpur (Rural) SP Pushpanjali Mathur, the wall and roof of the house of Shiv Naraine collapsed trapping and killing the three children.
According to the MeT department, heavy rainfall was recorded in various districts of the state. Dhauraraha received 10 cm of rainfall, followed by Lucknow (8), Bisauli (7), Etawah, Unnao, Meerut (5 cm each), Barabanki, Neemsar, Jhansi (4 cm each) and Kheri, Jaunpur, Varanasi (BHU) and Kayamgunj (3 cm each).
The MeT department has forecast rains or thundershowers at many places in western UP and a few places in eastern UP on Wednesday.