Uttar Pradesh may be showing improvement in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR),but Neo-natal Mortality Rate (NMR) continues to be abysmally high with around 50 per cent of the districts either showing an increase or no improvement in NMR in the last few years.
This was highlighted in a discussion conducted by the states NRHM unit.
IMR is the number of deaths of infants who are less than a year old per 1,000 live births,while NMR is the number of deaths of children less than one month per 1,000 live births. Indias NMR stands at 31,while Uttar Pradesh has an NMR of 40 per 1,000 live births.
Dr PK Prabhakar,Deputy Commissioner,Ministry of Health and Family Welfare,Government of India,compared the Annual Health Survey (AHS) data of 2010-11 and 2011-12 to conclude that majority of the districts in the state have not shown improvements in NMR during this period.
Uttar Pradesh had shown improvements in the IMR in the Sample Registration Survey (SRS) bulletin of 2013,with the IMR falling four points – from 57 to 53 per 1,000 live births.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
According to Dr Prabhakars analysis,around 13 districts in the state,including cities such as Allahabad,Kanpur,and Lucknow have shown no improvement in NMR between 2010-11 and 2011-12. Dr Prabhakar said NMR can be improved through better infrastructure,skill development of HR and safe institutional delivery.