3 dead after inhaling gas from manhole

Three men died after inhaling poisonous gas emanating from a manhole in Hazratganj area on Sunday.

Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published:October 10, 2011 3:53 am

Three men died after inhaling poisonous gas emanating from a manhole in Hazratganj area on Sunday.

The incident took place when 30-year-old Jwala Balmiki,a Lucknow Municipal Corporation worker,had gone to clean the sewage inside one Kamlesh Kumar’s house.

Jiamau chowky in-charge BB Singh said that Jwala fell into the manhole,which he had opened to clean the sewage,after inhaling the gas. On seeing him fall into the manhole Kamlesh Kumar and his brother Umesh Kumar also entered manhole to save Jwala but they also fainted and fell into the sewage,Singh said. Later the three were rushed to hospital where they were declared brought dead.

Kamlesh Kumar,45,was a clerk in the mineral department while his younger brother Umesh,32,was an accountant at a post office.

Jwala’s cousin Pappu said that Jwala had got the job of safai karmchari at Lucknow Municipal Corporation around four months ago.

Station House Officer of Hazratganj Vinay Gautam said that no FIR had been lodged as police did not get any complaint. “Kamlesh had called Jwala for cleaning the sewage as he knew him personally,” said Gautam.

Additional city commissioner of LMC,Rajeshwar Singh said Jwala was a sweeper at LMC and his job was not to clean sewers. “He was not sent by the corporation,” he said.

Earlier,two sewage cleaners Asgar Ali and Mahboob Ali died on Vikramaditya Marg,just outside the house of PWD Minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui,on June 16 when they were made to enter the sewer without safety equipment by an LMC contractor. Police had not lodged any FIR saying they did not receive any complaint.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.