Two police constables were shot while they were returning from a search operation for criminals in Ramgarh police station area of Firozabad district Monday morning.
Giriraj Kishore died on the spot while Dinesh Pratap Singh died on way to Agra hospital.
Later, Agra Range DIG Vijay Singh Meena suffered head injury in brick-batting by locals who staged protests demanding action against Ramgarh police station in-charge, alleging he was responsible for the murders.
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
Protesters also pelted stones on passers-by and damaged vehicles.
Giriraj Kishore belonged to Agra while Dinesh was from Mainpuri. Firozabad is adjacent to both the districts.
Additional SP, Firozabad, Rakesh Kumar Pandey denied that protesters had come from the native places of the constables.
Station officer (SO) of Ramgarh police station Ajay Kumar Yadav and sub-inspector Umar Farooq have been suspended on charges of dereliction in duty.
IG (Agra Range), S K Gupta said the family and relatives of the deceased constables were not among protestors. A case has also been lodged against unidentified protestors.
While speaking about the incident, Additional SP Rakesh Kumar Pandey said the police had information about movement of a group of criminals from Naglabari area towards Salai crossing in the intervening night of June 15 and 16.
Police teams rushed to the area and laid a trap. However, they failed to trace the gang. The police teams were later asked to return.
Pandey said the two constables of Ramgarh police station were returning on a motorcycle when miscreants fired at them. The policemen had retaliated but were overpowered, the ASP added.
The policemen sustained gunshot injuries caused by .315 and .12 bore firearms, Pandey said.
Circle Officer, City, Rajesh Chowdhary said one of the constables had even informed the police control room about the attack following which additional police force had rushed to the spot. The police teams found the constables lying in a pool of blood while the criminals had escaped.
While one of them had died on the spot, the other succumbed to injuries on way to Agra, the CO added.
Akhilesh announces ex-gratia of Rs 20 lakh each
VARANASI: State Monday announced an ex-gratia of Rs 20 lakh each to next of kin of two police constables, who died Sunday in Firozabad. “We have decided to give an ex-gratia of Rs 20 lakh to the kin of the two constables killed in Firozabad,” CM Akhilesh Yadav said. “The two constables sacrificed their life and showed immense bravery while making efforts to restore law and order situation,” Yadav said, adding, “Firozabad is my own district and I am very well aware of every situation there.” PTI