A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly beaten to death and later was set on fire by her father and other family members in Saharanpur Tuesday.
The matter came to light after the local police received an anonymous letter informing about the incident. The bones and ashes were recovered from the place where the body was reportedly burnt following a rigorous search around 2.30 am on Wednesday.
An FIR against girl’s father Sethpal, a labourer, and unidentified family members was lodged at Nakud police station on a complaint filed by Juddi village chowkidar Sitaram. The case has been lodged on charges of murder and destruction of evidence.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
SSP, Saharanpur, Rajesh Pandey said the recovered remains would be sent for forensic examination, adding the hunt is on to trace the girl’s father and others who are absconding.
The police said preliminary inquiry revealed the girl was reportedly having an affair with her elder sister’s brother-in-law and was pregnant. The investigation also found that the girl’s family had offered a proposal for their marriage, but the youth’s family reportedly demanded dowry which was turned down by the girl’s father.
The police added the girl’s father and others caught her with the same youth in a compromising state in the village and she was reportedly brought to the house where she was allegedly beaten to death. The body was later set on fire.
Senior Sub-inspector (SSI), Nakud police station, Digambar said after receiving information on Tuesday evening they visited the girl’s house to find her ailing mother who said her daughter was assaulted by her father and others and was later taken outside the house. She said she was unaware as to what happened to her daughter.