A first-year BSc student at St Xavier’s College, hailing from Patna, allegedly committed suicide late Friday by jumping from the sixth floor of his college hostel in Kolkata. The deceased has been identified as Souvick Sinha, a student of statistics.
Sources said Souvick, a meritorious student, went to the terrace of the hostel on AJC Bose Road around 9 pm after dinner. According to his roommates, Souvick — who used to stay in the fifth floor — had gone to the upper floor for a walk with two friends.
While the two friends allegedly left to attend a phone call, Souvick chose to stay back. After some time, the boarders heard a sound and ran outside only to find Souvick lying in a pool of blood.
- Calcutta University students protest ‘dirty surroundings’ amid ‘panic’ over dengue cases
- Two suicides in Hyderabad: A distraught student and an NEET aspirant
- Nepalese student found dead at Barwala college, hostel mates damage property
- Nursing student commits suicide in Mumbai
- Andheri teenager allegedly commits suicide after playing Blue Whale challenge game
- Teen hangs self in hostel room,motive not clear
He was rushed to Sana Nursing Home, where he was declared dead on arrival.
“Prima facie it appears to be a case of suicide. We are yet to find a suicide note. However, some of his friends and roommates are being examined. We have not received any complaint yet,” said Dhrubajyoti Dey, Deputy Commissioner of Eastern Suburban Division.
Souvick is survived by his mother, who has reached Kolkata. He had lost his father, an SBI employee, some time ago. The body has been sent for postmortem.