A history-sheeter who has duped countless government officials by posing as a high-ranking IPS officer and tricking them into investing in bogus welfare schemes was arrested along with his associate by the CID on Thursday. Palash Mondal, the main accused, and his partner Manohar Sheikh were picked up from Rejinagar in Murshidabad.
Watch What Else is Making News
Sources said Mondal had a unique modus operandi where he used to pose as Principal Secretary (Prisons) Shivaji Ghosh, while Sheikh would pose as his personal secretary. The duo would procure phone numbers of sub-divisional officers and jailors from the district magistrate’s office and then call the officials and demand money from them. Mondal would confidently persuade these officials to cough up money in the name of welfare schemes, said police, adding that he had promised some of them transfers to a location of their desire. Sources said he would even threaten government officials of filing negative reports against them if they didn’t cooperate.
“Palash Mondal has as many as 21 cases registered against him. This habitual cheater is a resident of Krishnanagar in Nadia while his associate Sheikh is from Murshidabad,” said DIG (CID) Bharat Lal Meena. CID officials too had received several complaints against the duo.
“The total amount is yet to be calculated, but on an average they used to take anything from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh from jailors and sub-divisonal officers under the names of different schemes.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“He (Mondal) used to talk to people very confidently. He would drop powerful names to convince people about his status. He has been cheating people since 2010. We are investigating further,” said an official.