A businessman was beaten to death after being robbed of Rs 15,000 at Beldanga area in Murshidabad district.
The incident took place at around 9 pm Wednesday night when Hafizul Sheikh, a fruit seller, was returning home on his cycle after the day’s work when he was confronted by a group of 5-6 persons. They beat him up and snatched away Rs 15,000 from his possession. Police said Hafizul was later beaten to death, most likely because he had identified some of his attackers. He died on the spot.
- Kerala: Tribal youth allegedly beaten to death by mob, selfie with victim goes viral on social media
- Law student beaten to death: Day after bus torched, police and RAF deployed at Allahabad University
- Antara Das murder case: Over a year later, no leads; police say only suspect may be discharged soon
- West Midnapore extortion case: Arrest warrant against IPS officer Bharati Ghosh, her guard
- Chandigarh: Youth flees custody, four cops suspended
- Robbery in Chandigarh’s Sector 33: Diamonds of 300 carat, 4.5 kg gold stolen; list of missing items submitted
Hafizul had intended to buy a smartphone with the money that was stolen. “He had talked about it to many persons and chances are that some of them had killed him,” one of his family members said.
Police said a case has been lodged in this connection but no arrests had been made yet.