A businessman was beaten to death after being robbed of Rs 15,000 at Beldanga area in Murshidabad district.
The incident took place at around 9 pm Wednesday night when Hafizul Sheikh, a fruit seller, was returning home on his cycle after the day’s work when he was confronted by a group of 5-6 persons. They beat him up and snatched away Rs 15,000 from his possession. Police said Hafizul was later beaten to death, most likely because he had identified some of his attackers. He died on the spot.
- Sangli: Five policemen held for beating robbery suspect to death, burning body
- Man tears poster put up for businessman’s birthday, ‘beaten to death’; two arrested
- Murder of businessman, accountant: Police say accused knew victims had guns
- Arrest in KJ Singh murder case: Kin of accused in dark, say he would call home and claim he was in Canada
- Panchkula Police arrest 56-year-old, claim to crack 10 robberies
- Two lynched in West Bengal’s Jalpaiguri district on suspicion of cow theft
Hafizul had intended to buy a smartphone with the money that was stolen. “He had talked about it to many persons and chances are that some of them had killed him,” one of his family members said.
Police said a case has been lodged in this connection but no arrests had been made yet.