A THIRD-YEAR BSc student fell to his death from the terrace of an abandoned house in Murshidabad district’s Jiaganj area late Monday. Police recovered the body of 21-year-old Rizwanur Rahman on Tuesday afternoon.
A resident of Domkal, Rahman used to stay at a mess in Jiagunj along with other boys. Police sources said the incident took place when the locals, on Monday, attacked the boys following allegations of eve-teasing. “Trying to avoid the irate mob, Rahman, who was a meritorious student, climbed to the terrace of an adjoining building and jumped,” said a police officer.
- Violence in Kasganj town after three of family killed in robbery
- Man held for killing wife, burying body in house
- Bhima Koregaon shadow over death of Dalit witness
- Gujarat slum-dwellers clash with students: Three FIRs filed, one under Dalit atrocity Act
- Eleven-year-old boy found dead in Mankhurd
- Dalit man beaten to death over affair, girl’s kin arrested: police
Shimul Roy, the owner of the building where the students used to stay, said: “Locals have alleged that some students who stayed here used to eve-tease girls but this had not been proved.”
A case of unnatural death has been initiated by the police. “The cause of the death will be ascertained for sure once the postmortem report arrives,” said a senior district official.