Visva-Bharati to restore quota in admission

Quo system for admission to UG and PG classes would be maintained for the current session.

By: Express News Service | Kolkata | Published: February 6, 2015 12:12 am

Acceding to one of the main demands of the agitating teachers and students of Visva-Bharati University in Santiniketan, the authorities on Thursday issued a notification saying the quo system for admission to undergraduate and post-graduate classes would be maintained for the current session.

ALSO READ: No Peace in Shantiniketan

However, the steering committee of teachers and students spearheading the agitation said their protests would continue until and unless their demands, including the removal of vice-chancellor (V-C) Sushanta Dutta Gupta, were met.

“Out boycott of classes will continue and from tomorrow there will be a complete ceasework at the institution. Ourmain demand is that the V-C has to go and all illegal appointments made during his tenure have to be nullified. We also want that all penal actions taken against all professors, employees and students for taking part in the agitation have to be withdrawn,’’ Biplab Loho Chaudhury, a professor and member of the steering committee told The Indian Express.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

The students and teachers had been on a strike since January 24 demading restoration of the quota system in relation to admission to UG classes. According to the system, students clearing higher secondary examination from the two schools under the university – Patha Bhavan and Siksha Satra – used to get an advantage over applicants from other institutions. The V-C, who joined his post in September 29, 2011, scrapped the quota system in November last year. He proposed that a common admission test be introduced for all students at the college level, citing a UGC order.

For all the latest Kolkata News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results