After her party’s powerful performance in the parliamentary elections, Trinamool Congress MLA Sikha Mitra, the wife of Congress leader Somen Mitra, Monday submitted her resignation to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
After submitting her resignation, she said had been waiting for her “suspension letter”. “I had heard this news across all media that I have been suspended from the party but till date I have not received any such letter. I had talked to the highest leadership of the party as well,” she said.
Asked why did she put in her papers now, the MLA from Chowringhee assembly constituency said she had been waiting for the results of the Lok Sabha elections. “How has the TMC won 34 seats despite the TET scam, SSC scam and the mother of all scams — the Saradha scam.
Staying in the party after this is against my conscience,” she said, adding the special investigating team, which Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has created to investigate the Saradha scam, was a farce.
She had said in an earlier interview to The Indian Express that she would not resign until the people’s mandate came. “Even today my supporters said I should not resign, but I was not able to work the way I want to… TMC men are heckling my supporters and in the Assembly too I was not able to voice the problems of my constituency.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Asked if she would be contesting as a Congress candidate in the bypolls at her constituency, she said, “At the moment I have not decided anything as such but Congress is in my blood and even if I joined the party, there is no rule that it would would pitch me as their candidate from there,” she said.