A cab driver, contracted to Uber, was arrested in Kolkata for an alleged obscene act in the presence of a woman passenger in the cab, police said late Tuesday.
A police officer said the 25-year-old woman, an employee of a shopping mall in Kolkata, complained that while travelling in the cab from Elgin Road to Netaji Nagar on July 8 she noticed through the looking glass that the driver was “masturbating with one hand and driving with the other”.
- Uber driver, two others held for abducting, robbing passenger
- Uber records highest New Year Eve rides from Delhi-NCR
- Uber cab driver arrested for molesting woman journalist travelling from Delhi to Noida
- Uber cabs face nationwide ban; Ola, TaxiForSure face heat
- Delhi rape case: Uber cab driver remanded to three days of police custody, refuses to undergo identification parade
- Uber cab service banned in Delhi, accused sent to 3-day police custody
The driver, Pintu Yadav, was arrested on Monday night from Kustia Road under Tiljala police station after he was kept under watch for days, the police officer said.
Reacting to the development, Uber spokesperson Karun Arya said the driver has been suspended and the company assisted the local authorities with all information during the investigation.
“In this case, we immediately connected with our rider, suspended the driver, partner and assisted the local authorities with all necessary information required for their investigation,” the spokesperson said.
The statement claimed the rider was ‘satisfied’ with the company’s immediate assistance and action.