Two persons died of swine flu in separate parts of the state on Wednesday, a senior health official said.
While a man in his late-50s from Chandannagar in Hooghly district died of swine flu, a Mumbai resident — who was holidaying in Kolkata — succumbed to the H1N1 virus, Principal Secretary (Health and Family Welfare) Moloy Dey told PTI.
“We have news of two deaths due to swine flu in the state. We are taking stock of the situation and necessary precautions have been taken,” Dey said.
- Two more succumb to swine flu in Punjab; death toll rises to 12
- Swine flu: 5 deaths in five days in UP, MLA Sangeet Som tests positive
- Swine flu deaths breach 1,000 mark, 40 more succumb to virus
- Swine flu: Government 'closely monitoring' situation across India
- Swine flu: one more dead in Surat; toll now 19
- Two more die of swine flu,death toll in Malaysia touches 64
Speaking about the number of people affected by the H1N1 virus in the state, Dey said: “We do not have an estimation (of the number of people affected) at the moment but we are ready to face it with all might.”
Reports of 216 deaths due to swine flu have been reported from across the country within the first 10 days of this month, taking the toll to 407 this year, mostly in states like Gujarat and Rajasthan.