A day after Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that teachers should be respected at all levels, a teacher was beaten up in Asansol allegedly by Trinamool Congress supporters.
In a police complaint, Jamaluddin Ansari, a teacher of Rahmania High School alleged that supporters of Golam Sarwar, a school clerk affiliated to TMC, had beaten Ansari up on the pretext that he was irregular in taking classes. “The TMC workers came in the school and started disrupting classes. When I asked them to leave, they went away but when I was returning home after school hours, they beat me up,” Ansari alleged.
The teacher added that an RTI had earlier been filed against Sarwar and his wife alleging that they had produced fake documents to get government jobs. “I believe they mistakenly thought of me as the one who had filed the RTI and beat me up in front of policemen,” he added.
- Mamata has final word in TMC, says Mukul Roy’s son Subhranshu
- Mamata Banerjee sacks Jhargram district TMC chief for being ‘inactive’
- TMC suspends Mukul Roy for six years after he announces decision to quit party
- West Bengal BJP chief Dilip Ghosh asks party workers to beat up cops
- Victim’s father sides with TMCP, says no need for JU V-C to resign
- Opposition allege TMC hooliganism in Asansol
Denying his involvement in the incident, Sarwar said, “I have heard that he had been beaten up by guardians of students who had been complaining that Ansari was not regular to school and didn’t take classes properly. His allegation against me is unfounded.” No arrests have been made in the case.