Leaders of the Trinamool Congress’s student wing Thursday took out a procession with the body of Paresh Mondal who was allegedly killed in clashes Wednesday in North-24 Parganas ahead of college union elections.
The Trinamool Chhatra Parishad (TMCP) has alleged that Paresh,a BA first year student and one of its candidates in the elections at Kalinagar College in the district, died after he was assaulted by SFI students even as Education Minister Bratya Basu claimed that the 18-year-old died of cardiac arrest.
Dismissing Basu’s remarks, TMCP president Sankudev Ponda said there was no politics in Mondal’s death while adding that “people at important positions should not make comments on such issues before investigations are over. Police are looking into it and we are sure truth will prevail”.
Information and Technology minister Partha Chatterjee visited Peace Haven, a mortuary in Kolkata where Mondal’s body was kept, and attacked the Opposition.
“The Opposition is scared of the development work that the state has embarked on. We hope there will be a thorough investigation into the matter,” he said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
As the procession concluded, food minister Jyotipriya Mullick, who holds charge of North-24 Parganas, termed the “killing” a “shame for Bengal” and accused the CPM and SFI for the death.
“This is a shame for Bengal. Members of SFI, instigated by the CPM, have killed our TMCP leader in Kalinagar College. We will fight back politically,” he said.
Asked if they were not opposed to politics over a dead body, he said, “We have brought the body to the Gandhi statue to pay homage. If we wanted to do politics, we would have taken it to our party office, like the CITU did after the Madhyamgram rape incident.”
Bashirhat MP Haji Nurul Islam said SFI students were involved in hooliganism since long. “Not very long ago, they were accused of assaulting the principal of the college. Paresh hailed from a poor family. After losing his father, his elder brother used to take care of his academic expenses, hoping that one day Paresh would stand on his feet,” Islam said.
Referring to the SFI state president’s comments over the deceased, the TMCP is mulling taking legal action against him. “We are looking into possible sections under which we can take legal steps against him. We have asked for the CDs of his speech after Paresh’s death,” Ponda said.
SFI state president Madhuja Sen Roy said, “We maintain that TMCP is trying to shift the blame on SFI. If they want to take any legal step, they can go ahead.”
TWo persons have been arrested so far in connection with the death of Paresh Mondal. “Of the two, Sushanta Mullick is an ex-student of the college and Basudeb Das is studying in the college,” said Abhijit Bandopadhyay, SDPO. He said the complainant in the case is Paresh’s brother Rama Prasad Mondal. “The FIR said Paresh had been heckled but no name had been specified,” he said.