The Trinamool Congress begins its week-long agitation against Centre’s decision to hike rail fare today at a rally from College Square to Rani Rashmoni Square at 2 pm.
All India TMC general secretary Mukul Roy Sunday announced the protest programme, saying that it was opposed to what the BJP had promised before coming to power. “They had said they would bring a smile on the faces of countrymen and now with the first major decision they brought tears to their eyes. A 14.56 per cent hike in passenger fare is unprecedented since independence,” he said at a press conference Sunday.
He cited an earlier instance when former rail minister Dinesh Trivedi said a rail fare hike was inevitable but Mamata Banerjee showed that funds can be generated from alternative measures and the railways could go without a fare hike, without compromising with passengers’ safety.
Roy pointed out that the fare hike would raise prices of essential commodities and put pressure on state governments. He also said the hike was being done without any discussion in parliament.
Other wings of the party such as Trinamool Congress Chattra Parishad, Mahilla Trinamool Congress, Trinamool Youth Congress and YUVA would also protest the move in parts of the state. Senior leaders would demonstrate at major crossings, railway stations. “The Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha MPs would protest in Delhi, inside and outside the parliament,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More