State food minister Jyotipriya Mallick announced on Sunday that the government would demand capital punishment for the murderers of Sourav Chowdhury, who was brutally murdered for protesting against liquour mafia. The announcement comes after the minister and TMC general secretary Mukul Roy faced an agitation when they visited Sourav’s family at their Bamangachi home on Saturday.
During a public meeting at Sandeshkhali, Mallick, also the TMC in-charge of North 24 Parganas, said: “Sourav was our supporter and he was killed brutally by BJP miscreants. I can assure you that the government would appeal for capital punishment for the culprits. We want them to be hanged till death. We thank district police for nabbing the culprits in 48 hours. They have done a great job.”
Mukul Roy, too, claimed on Sunday that the ruling party was ‘never an enemy of Sourav’ and held BJP responsible for such incidents.
“The party that is ruling at the Centre is trying to create disturbance in the area. They got 13 per cent votes in Bengal in the 1991 Lok Sabha polls, but failed to win an Assembly seat. Even this time, they would not be able to hoist the saffron flag in Bengal Assembly election.”
The TMC general secretary further said: “BJP should not forget that they have got 31 per cent of total vote share in the country, while the remaining 69 per cent votes were polled for secular parties.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Despite the ruling party’s claims, allegations regarding TMC members’ involvement in Sourav’s murder are doing the rounds.
Reportedly, TMC leader Sisir Mukherjee had booked a room in a Birbhum hotel to lodge main prime accused Shyamal Karmakar. While Shyamal was arrested, search is on for Mukherjee.
Sourav’s elder brother Sandip claimed TMC leader and village Panchayat member Tushar Majumdar ‘instigated’ the miscreants to abduct and kill Sourav. He added that he included Majumdar’s name in the FIR, but the name was dropped by local police citing ‘lack of evidence’.
Meanwhile, one Tarak Das has been arrested for ‘supplying arms’. Tarak is the brother of Nikhil Das, another TMC Panchayat member of the area. “We can see three TMC members involved in the crime. Police arrested Tarak, brother of Nikhil Das. We know that Nikhil is also directly involved, but he has not been arrested. So, atleast three TMC members’ are involved in my brother’s murder. When Mukul Roy visited us yesterday, we told him everything,” said Sandip.