The Trinamool Congress Monday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee for his speech in Naihati Sunday where he said that TMC leader Anubrata Mondal would have been be in jail if he was the chief minister.
The TMC bracketed the remark under “hate speech” and asked the poll panel to take “the most stringent of action against Bhattacharjee”.
Derek O’Brien, TMC Rajya Sabha member and spokesperson for the party, confirmed that the complaint has been filed.
On Sunday, the former CM had took a sharp view against Mondal (TMC’s Birbhum president), saying if he was the CM, Mondal would have been “jailed the same night he had exhorted his partymen to throw bombs at the policemen”. He had then crticised Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for “shielding Mondal and sharing dais with him”, calling it a “shame”.
“The person he referred to (Mondal) is a good organiser of the party and we are saying law would take its own course. We had leaders like Munnaji, Shambhu Kau, Arabul Islam who had to go to jail for some wrong they had done. But why did not Buddhababu send leaders who incited violence (to jail)?’’ TMC leader Partha ChatterjeeChatterjee said at Trinamool Bhavan.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
“(Even) Surya Kanta Mishra had made objectionable comments. Was he sent to jail? Would Buddhadeb himself walk into jail after making those comments? If what he (Buddha) is saying is true, then several CPM leaders would have been imprisoned during his tenure,” Chatterjee added.
Taking names of Left leaders Anil Basu and Binoy Dutta, Chatterjee said they all have made very objectionable comments in their speeches and had even made personal attacks against Mamata.
“I would like to remind Buddhadeb that charity begins at home. It is their policy to attack her in whatever way they can,” Chatterjee said.
Mondal had courted controversy last November by reportedly threatening to chop off hands of Congress workers if they tried to damage CM’s hoardings or party flags in Katwa. During the panchayat elections he had asked party supporters to burn the houses of independent candidates (dissident Trinamool supporters) and hurl bombs at policemen if they went to rescue them.
CEO receives complaints against chief secretary
Kolkata: The state chief electoral office (CEO) Monday confirmed receiving a complaint against Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra for alleged violation of model code of conduct. Mitra had issued a notification reinstating the DM, ADMs and SPs who had been transferred by the Election Commission recently. Both the CPM and the Congress wrote to the EC against the move. “Yes we have received a complaint. We are looking into it and soon appropriate action would be taken,” said Amitjyoti Bhattacharya, Assistant CEO. He also said, the district electoral officer was looking into the complaints of about fake voters IDs being made and sold in Cooch Behar.