THE star candidates of both TMC and BJP had a field day with veterans and seasoned politicians biting the dust because of their star appeal. Sitting MPs like Tapas Paul and Satabdi Ray from Krishnanagar and Birbhum, managed to retain their seats.
While Paul won by a margin of 71,190 votes over his nearest rival, CPM candidate Shantanu Jha, Shatabdi Ray managed to secure 4,60,216 votes to defeat the next best, Dr Elahi Kamre Mahammad of the CPM by 67,120 votes.
Among the first timers, heartthrob of the Bengali film industry, Deepak Adhikari alias Dev was pitched from Ghatal as the TMC candidate against veterans like Santosh Rana of CPI and Manas Bhuniya of Congress. He did not disappoint Didi as he walked away with 6,85,122 votes with a margin of 2,60,939 votes defeating Rana.
Sreemati Dev Varma, popularly known as Moon Moon Sen who was contesting from Bankura as a TMC candidate managed to upset nine-time MP, Basudeb Acharya by 97,511 votes. The glamour factor definitely worked as she managed 4,81,911 votes in her favour.
Sandhya Roy was another surprise element from Medinipur who defeated CPI candidate Prabodh Panda by 1,84,515 votes.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Bollywood singer-turned politician and BJP candidate Babul Supriyo was one of the two BJP candidates who had helped the party open its account in Bengal, winning from Asansol. He defeated TMC leader Dola Sen by 70, 452 votes. Right from his entry into politics, Supriyo had faced the wrath of tmc and he managed to sail through the turbulence of “false cases” and FIRs during campaign period.