THE star candidates of both TMC and BJP had a field day with veterans and seasoned politicians biting the dust because of their star appeal. Sitting MPs like Tapas Paul and Satabdi Ray from Krishnanagar and Birbhum, managed to retain their seats.
While Paul won by a margin of 71,190 votes over his nearest rival, CPM candidate Shantanu Jha, Shatabdi Ray managed to secure 4,60,216 votes to defeat the next best, Dr Elahi Kamre Mahammad of the CPM by 67,120 votes.
Among the first timers, heartthrob of the Bengali film industry, Deepak Adhikari alias Dev was pitched from Ghatal as the TMC candidate against veterans like Santosh Rana of CPI and Manas Bhuniya of Congress. He did not disappoint Didi as he walked away with 6,85,122 votes with a margin of 2,60,939 votes defeating Rana.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Sreemati Dev Varma, popularly known as Moon Moon Sen who was contesting from Bankura as a TMC candidate managed to upset nine-time MP, Basudeb Acharya by 97,511 votes. The glamour factor definitely worked as she managed 4,81,911 votes in her favour.
Sandhya Roy was another surprise element from Medinipur who defeated CPI candidate Prabodh Panda by 1,84,515 votes.
Bollywood singer-turned politician and BJP candidate Babul Supriyo was one of the two BJP candidates who had helped the party open its account in Bengal, winning from Asansol. He defeated TMC leader Dola Sen by 70, 452 votes. Right from his entry into politics, Supriyo had faced the wrath of tmc and he managed to sail through the turbulence of “false cases” and FIRs during campaign period.